Friday, April 10, 2015

Paris - the city of lights on St. Patrick's Day Tuesday, March, 17, 2015

Another sunny day, and we're off!  First stop - Tombeau De Napoleon or Napoleon's tomb!  After a couple of wrong turns, we finally arrive at the gold domed monument only to discover that we can't seem to find the entrance.


 When we think that we've found the entrance, Rob asks the guards if this is the correct place to enter, and the guard first replies, "Certainly,"  then asks, "Where are you from?"  Rob replies, "Georgia" and the guard states that he has a cousin who also live in Georgia.  We are thinking to ourselves that Georgia is a large state, when the guard says that his cousin lives in Marietta!  We almost fall over when he says that he lives in Kennesaw.  After a conversation about how small the world is, the guard bids us farewell with, "See, we are almost cousins!" in his cute little French accent!
This tomb rivals anything in Vatican City!  We roam from room to room amazed with the beauty.


Even the floor tiles were elegant!

My favorite moment was watching Rob salute Napoleon's tomb!
Next, we're off to Soc re Cuer via the Metro.  As we get off at our stop, we notice an elevator, but it wasn't until several flights later that we remember WHY that elevator was there - it's definitely a stair master workout.  Near the very top, Rob feels fingers in his back pocket.  He quickly turns around and says, "Nice try, Buddy!" to the guy who was trying to pick pocket him! After our trip up the Metro stairs, we opt to take the vernacular up to the Soc re Cuer cathedral.  Rob quietly sits in a pew while the rest of us roam around this gorgeous church.  Lenore would have been SO proud of him.

We enjoy yet another delicious meal in Montmarte, then take the Metro to Arche de Triumph where we stop by the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, as well as read all the major battles inscribed on this mammoth monument. 
 Coffee time - so we relax with cappuccino on the street.  We take the train back for Rob to rest, while Teri and Alan go buy pastry. 
 I opted to return to the ultra delicious Belgium candy store, Leonidas, to purchase dark chocolate covered creamy caramel to take home for Easter.  Naturally, I have to sample one - OMG!!!!  Then, I notice a group of people exiting a building so I head over to investigate.  Much to my amazement, I realize that it is dismissal time at an elementary school.  I am totally captivated and watched this scene for quite some time.  My heart smiles.  I start to head back to our hotel when I notice a cute little yarn shop which I'm drawn into.  Inside, I find an assortment of buttons like I have never seen.  I select a few for my "Lily" creations!
It was the PERFECT evening for our Seine River Cruise - temperature, weather, and no crowds!
Afterwards, we head back to our hotel and dine at a cute bistro across from Hotel Du Cadran!  Since we only had to walk across the street, we enjoyed two bottles of French wine!  Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment