Sunday, August 4, 2024

Viking Mississippi - Exploring the Upper Mississippi 3 - 17 August 2024

 August 3, 2024

Our initial travels were a bit unusual! Our Lyft ride to the ATL airport was uneventful, and we had a delightful driver named Trent, a former truck driver. Once in the airport things changed.  For some unknown reason, I couldn't check into our flight on any Delta website so we had to stand in line to see an agent. I had requested a wheelchair for Rob which took forever, another unusual event. We breezed through the TSA line until the scanning section which also seemed to take forever. Then an employee told us that everything was being double-scanned due to the Trump rally in ATL.  What???? This made no sense to me because we were LEAVING Atlanta, not entering.  We finally got settled at the gate, and after about an hour's wait, Rob received a message that our flight was being delayed for two hours. Luckily, the Delta Lounge was across the hall, so we went there for lunch, coffee, and waited a little more comfortably. Since half the plane was Viking passengers, someone else had notified Viking of the delay. 



We settled in for our short flight to Memphis.  Rob left his seat for the bathroom, which turned out to be a really good decision. Somehow the flight attendant spilled an entire carafe of hot tea all over herself, several passengers, and Rob's seat! Had Rob been in his seat, he would have been the recipient of that hot mess. As we deplaned, something really strange happened! There was poop in the aisle, so much so that the flight attendant made an announcement to watch where you stepped.  A flight attendant (thank you kind sir) even picked up my roller board so I wouldn't have to roll it over the paper-towel-covered mess! Okay, that was a first.

Delighted to see our luggage on the carousel which I will never take for granted after our cruise with no luggage, we quickly checked in with the Viking Representative and boarded our bus.  Max, our bus driver, who could have previously been a drill sergeant, won my heart when he gave cold water to a homeless man. We drove through historic Memphis past Elvis' and BB King's homes, the Bass Pro Shop, Beale Street, etc. on our way to the beautiful Viking Mississippi River Cruise Ship.  We're in an ideal beautiful cabin, 404, located in a perfect spot.....another reason to love Viking.



Rob napped while I attended the Welcome Aboard Meeting. Our sail away was beautiful with the sun setting on the Mighty Mississippi.




 Later, I unpacked and rested a bit before our amazing dinner. The crab bignets were incredibly delicious. We both ordered poached cod, which was quite tasty! We explored the ship on our way back to the cabin, enjoying the live Memphis Jones music. What a lovely way to end our first day on the Mississippi.

August 4, 2023 - Second Day on the Mississippi

Today was a perfect "River Day" as we casually drifted up the Mississippi.  We slept in, skipped breakfast, and had a delicious lunch.  Meanwhile, I have never seen so many barges in my life!



During one of our lectures today, we had our first eagle sighting!  Actually, it was four bald eagles and one golden eagle, all fighting our food on the river bank.  Back in the cabin, I exercised, did needle work, sudoku, and read while Rob rested, sipped cappuccino, and napped.  I sat outside on our lovely balcony until the humid 93 temps forced me inside.

     We enjoyed dinner sitting next to a lovely couple from upper-state New York, Cathy and Bill. Back in our cabin, I worked on the computer while Rob read.

August 5, 2024 Paducah, Kentucky

What an ideal first stop for me as this is the home of the National Quilt Museum! Rob opted to stay on board because he didn't sleep well thanks to me and two nightmares, as well as the toasty 92 degrees. So I walked over to the museum to enjoy the amazing talent.




The above is A QUILT not a painting or photograph!  Truly inspirational.  While there, I asked if there was a local coffee shop to purchase beans. Thanks to a helpful employee and Google Maps, I walked over to Pipers for freshly roasted beans and a complimentary iced Americano. Yum.

Refreshed, I shopped at the local stores until I was ready for lunch, where I enjoyed delicious KY BBQ wings at The In/Out. I made several purchases to help the locals. I truly enjoy purchasing meaningful gifts while traveling. Paducah is such a friendly, walkable town.




On my way back to our ship, I stopped to admire the wall-to-wall murals painted on the levee.





And here's our home for the next twelve days:


Once back on board, Rob and I enjoyed listening to tonight's entertainer practice.  She's from the original cast of Broadway's Cats. Viking has had fabulous music on this cruise!

Day 4 - August 6, 2024 - A new day, a new state, a new port - Cape Girardeau, Missouri

We sailed into Cape Girardeau with bright, sunshine and a predicted high of 96! Historic Cape Girardeau began as a tiny trading post over 290 years ago, founded by a French soldier, Jean D. Girardot. He left, and a French-Canadian Louis Lorimier was credited with putting Cape Girardeau on the map. It became the town's first military post and he was its first ambassador. Lewis and Clark stopped in Cape Girardeau to meet with Lorimier before continuing their famous expedition. It was an important site during the Civil War as General Grant defended this strategic point on the Mississippi River when it was attacked by Southern troops. Today, only Fort D remains.

The lovely painted murals greeted us, along with a lively blues band!





I had a few hours to roam around the town until my excursion, so I explored and shopped to help support the local economy! 

I boarded Bus #9  for our first destination, Old St. Vinent's Catholic Church.






Several of the church's parishioners shared the construction and rich history of this 170-year-old church.

Then we visited the restored Glenn home.  This is an old home that was purchased by the community when the family could no longer afford the upkeep. The house was filled with artifacts, which were explained by our adorable docent















Next, we visited South East Missouri University's Fine Arts Center where we watched an enjoyable historical video called, Crossroads, and viewed a magnificent exhibition of Thomas D. Mangeksen's amazing nature and wildlife photographs. Wow!

Finally, we visited the local Cape Girardeau Visitor's Center before heading back to the ship. I quickly showered before attending our daily briefing for tomorrow.  We enjoyed a lovely dinner while sailing through a lock.

I watched the second performance by Jeri Sager which was fabulously entertaining, and a great way to end another day on the Mississippi!


August 7, 2024 St. Louis Missouri

With overcast skies, we sailed into the harbor of St Louis to park next to the beautiful arch.


Our three-hour excursion left the boat at 3:00 PM to the Gateway Arch National Park. Although the skies looked very threatening, the rain stayed away.




I looked around the museum, did a little shopping, and walked over to tour the old cathedral.  I was so disappointed to discover that the oldest cathedral west of the Mississippi had closed at 2:00. So bummed.






Drats! I decided to walk over to the Old Courthouse where the Supreme Court ruled on the Dred Scott Decision, only to find it closed for renovation.


So, I walked and walked around the National Park until it was time to board the bus to return to our ship.





Once back on the bus, we toured the city - Busch Stadium, Amheiser Busch Brewery, the neat City Museum, the Italian section called The Hill, several federal buildings, and downtown. Our ship wasn't sailing until 10:00 so we enjoyed a quiet evening.

August 8, 2024 - Alton and Elsah, Illinois

Today, was an early day for excursions, so I went to the River Cafe for a light breakfast while Rob slept in. Our bus departed at 8:00 AM from Alton to Elsa. 

Leaving Alton, we drove past the Piasa Bird Mural that depicts the mysterious dragon-like creature with a human face, a symbol of mythology which translated to "a bird that devours men."


 This quiet little town has a population of 60 people. Our tour guide was one of the owner's of a B&B.



I walked around Elsah, and I did some holiday shopping in their gift shop. This little town was like stepping back in time.











  Next, Mack, our fabulous bus driver convinced his favorite tour guide to be on our bus as we traveled through Principia, the only Christian Scientist University in the world.  Wow! This gorgeous campus felt like we were on a Harry Potter movie scene. We toured the Anderson Dorm living room which was breath-taking







 We then went into the Principia College Chapel where we were treated to a carillon concert by the college professor who teaches this course. The sound was mesmerizing!





We strolled around the grounds which had some absolutely incredible scenery!








On our return to the ship, our guide explained how the American Bald Eagles migrate to Alton, Illinoi to spend winter each year! 

Today, our ship is honoring all Veterans!  At 6:00 there will be a Veterans Meet & Greet in The Living Room.


August 9, 2024 - Hannibal, Missouri

I left the ship at 8:45 to start exploring Mark Twain's home.  I was greeted by three locals dressed in Mark Twain era clothing.



 One of the highlights of Hannibal that I wanted to explore was Jim's Journey because our book club is reading "James" but my other excursion conflicted, so I decided to tour on my own.  Using Google Maps, I walked about ten minutes from the dock to the museum.  A sweet lady was sitting on a bench outside of the museum waiting on the Viking Group and asked if she could help me.  I explained that I wanted to visit the museum, so she immediately let me in.  She was the owner, so we had a wonderful conversation about how the museum started. Thanks to Fay, I also have two new recommendations to read. The city donates her building for the museum, and she collects memorabilia from donors and tells the story of all the "invisibles" in Mark Twain's stories.






I continued exploring Mark Twain's, Huckleberry Finn's, and Becky Thatcher's homes.











The weather was ALMOST chilly, and perfect for walking around the cute town of Hannibal.  Next, I went to the Mark Twain Museum where I saw the Norman Rockwell collection of Mark Twain art.




Now, it was time for some retail therapy since I received a call from my dermatologist that the biopsy I had done prior to our trip came back with bad results.  I must have Moh's surgery to remove the squamous cancer cells on my leg.  Drats! I browsed a cute quilt shop and then found a darling boutique, Danni Nichole's, where I purchased jeans and two tops.  I like to continue my support of the local economy.




Farewell, Hannibal.  Thanks for a wonderful day!

August 10, 2024 Burlington, Iowa

Once again, our day is sunny and 73 is the high! 



Off I go on the Historic Burlington included excursion. Our first stop is the Hertitage Museum, formerly the first public museum of Burlington.  BTW, a gentleman paid $50 to name this city Burlington because he missed his hometown of Burlington, Vermont. Also, while Burlington is the county seat of Des Moines County, the actual city of Des Moines is over an hour and a half away!  The library was stunning! Every part of the library was gorgeous!







While roaming down to the basement to see the Bart Howard Lounge (wrote "Fly Me to the Moon") I walked by an open door. As I did, a voice called out, "You are welcome to come in if you'd like." Inside was a gentleman, Colton, refurbishing an old organ. We started chatting, and it turns out that he was the director of this museum.  His family has been in the business of refurbishing old items for several generations.





I could have watched him work all day, but, it was time to move on.  Another volunteer in the museum explained to me that her husband donated the organ to the museum.  It had been in his family for years, and had crossed the Mississippi River in a covered wagon. Wow!

    Our next stop was Mosquito Park which is given that name because of it's size.  The views across the Mississippi River were incredible!










Next stop was an old mansion, the Garrett-Phelphs House located next to Snake Alley. The home had so many original artifacts because when the last daughter died, there was no one to claim any belongings.










As I walked outside to stroll down Snake Alley, I happened to notice a beautiful old church.  When I walked closer, I noticed that it was a Church of Christ, built in the same year as my dad was born, 1925.

Hey, Dad!


This made me smile the entire time I walked down Snake Alley:











While waiting for the bus to pick me up, I walked over to see the oldest Masonic Lodge west of the Mississippi River!


Once back at the port, I took a few pictures of the nearby bridge.



Loving this Upper Mississippi River Cruise!

August 11, 2024 - Quad Cities, Iowa

Soooooo grateful for this glorious weather! Our excursion this morning departed at 0830 hours for the Putnam Museum in Davenport, Iowa.



 Again, we'll enjoy a privileged private entry.  Our ten-minute drive took us through town and a cute little residential area. Our small group of 32 disembarked and followed a Cheyenne Native American, Larry Lockwood for his amazing story-telling and performance.






Next, we walked through one of Putnam's newest exhibits featuring locals who have contributed to the Quad Cities, including the creator of the first chiropractic chair, as well as the inventor of the bread-slicing machine.  So, from now on if someone mentions "it's the best thing since sliced bread" we'll think of Davenport, Iowa!

Finally, we saw the Black Hawk Treaty of 1832. This treaty was signed between the Sauk and Meskwaki Indians and the US government in present-day Davenport, Iowa, and forced the Native Americans to give up 6 million acres of land along the Mississippi River. Very sad.

Rob and I relaxed, had lunch, and cappuccino before we sailed away.  Bon Voyage!

August 12, 2024 - Dubuque, Iowa and Galena, Illinois

I watched our arrival today into Dubuque because yesterday's sailing was delayed due to a late return of one of Vikings excursions and an unexpected lock stop to discharge a sick passenger.






 The sail into Dubuque, nestled in the bluffs was fabulous. Around 0845 I walked over to the Viking shuttle bus for a "hop-on/hop-off" tour of the historic downtown. First stop:  Steeple Square



Next stop, St. Luke's Methodist Church with it's many beautiful Tiffany glass windows.




Cable Car Square was the next stop which holds the record for the smallest, steepest Funicular Railway!


Our final stop was the National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium. What a treasure! The first building was all fresh water tanks where I saw HUGE catfish!





There was a lovely outdoor exhibit where I sat next to Mark Twain and saw a beautiful bald eagle and hawk being rehabilitated.





The next building contained the freshwater aquariums containing stingrays and brightly colored fish.








Time for lunch, so I walked back to our ship. The sweet bartender, David, mixed up Rob's protein shake and I grabbed a hotdog from the River Cafe for our picnic in the room. My next excursion left at 1245 hours for Galena, Illinois. This area is called the tri-state because from the river you can see Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin. Our short bus ride took us first to view Gen Grant's home in Galena.



Galena is filled with Civil War history since Grant lived here, as well as had one of his headquarters downtown.  It was in this city, in his friend's Washburn's home, that Grant received the news that he would become America's 18th president. Grant also befriended, Ely Parker, who later became Commissioner of Indian Affairs from 1869 - 1871. 



I spent two delightful hours roaming Main Street, Galena supporting the merchants at over 150 shops. A place to not miss - American Popcorn Company.  The maple-bacon popcorn is AMAZING!


August 13 - 14, 2024 - LaCrosse, Wisconsin

Our arrival in LaCrosse was "iffy" because of a bridge we needed to pass under during the night.  At our evening briefing the tour director, Travis, went over two scenarios - arriving in LaCrosse as planned OR arriving in some little "middle of no-where" town if we couldn't go under the bridge.  Luckily, we made it by inches, so I woke to us traveling in a delightful area of the Mississippi River where I immediately spotted two bald eagles.



I updated my blog and then decided to walk for exercise. I met a nice gentleman, named Dave, from Ohio, who also walked our mile. By the time I returned to the room, Rob was waking, so I took his shake to the bar to have it blended.  Unfortunately, my favorite bartender, David, wasn't on duty yet, so I took the concoction to the kitchen for mixing.  The officer in charge of the kitchen sweetly agreed to blend Rob's protein shake.  Got to love the Viking staff! I returned to the River Cafe for my hot dog before heading to the Library to wait for the bus tour of LaCrosse.  Rob enjoyed his cappuccino while we waited together.

Our guide for the bus tour was a sweet 8th grade middle school teacher with a wicked sense of humor. We drove to Granddad Bluff for a spectacular view of LaCrosse. Atop the bluff was an American flag that you can see throughout the LaCrosse area.





From the top we could view the confluence of three rivers and three states.  This bluff was saved by a local women, Ellen Hickson, who purchased the bluff to stop the quarrying destruction.





On the way down the bluff we saw the radome, a National Weather Service radar. We rode through the historic downtown, past several beautiful historic register mansions.


Eventually, we arrived at the Hickson mansion where we could only take pictures of the outside, including the gorgeous gardens.




Four o-clocks - brought back memories from my childhood home - 2814 Ryland Drive, Hamption, VA. Mom used to grow these in our yard.





We arrived back on the ship just in time to dash in for our daily briefing. Rob and I enjoyed a delicious dinner and then listened to a brief concert by a young soloist, Eden, playing a Norweigan Hardanger Fiddle. It sounded much like bagpipes.  

August 14, 2024 - LaCrosse, Wisconsin

We spent the night in LaCrosse, and this morning, it was so foggy that I could barely see the opposite shore of the Mississippi River.  The weather was almost 70, sunny, and a perfect day to take a walking tour of historic LaCrosse. Our guide, Kelly, was so engaging. She told us all about the industries that built LaCrosse - lumber, steamships, agriculture, and industry.  The industries mainly consisted of mill work, breweries, and eventually tourism.  The town is absolutely charming!





Many of the downtown buildings are run by multi-generational owners in historically-registered buildings. The building housing a hair salon, Pamperin, was formerly a cigar factory that pumped out up to 1500 cigars per day.



We stopped on Pearl Street (formerly their red-light district) to hear about the art shop owner.  Whom, by the way, I stopped by once it was open to purchase a few gifts. We later sampled fudge at The Pearl Ice Cream/Candy/Coffee Store.




 Some of the signs are quite entertaining.






We listened to multi-generational owners from a boutique, used book store, hardware store, musical instrument, and brewery/bar. All of them share inspirational stories! We then went to the bar to sample four different beer flights at ll00 hours!!!!! Yep, when in LaCrosse....

Walking back to the ship, the thought struck me that throughout this cruise, at each stop, I've listened to story after story of how wealthy people shared their money to help the less fortunate in their town.  The common theme was how people took care of their own. This small-town philosophy restored my faith in humanity. 

We're sailing away from LaCrosse as I update this on my balcony, very relaxed and filled with serenity.



August 15, 2024 - Red Wing, Minnesota

Woke to the first "liquid sunshine" of our cruise, but we had planned to stay on board for the morning.



 By noon when it was time for our excursion, the sun has peeping out as we drove to the National Eagle Center.  One of the eagle experts was on our bus, so we had an extensive lesson as we drove along.  Eagles prefer an "easy meal" when possible. Benjamin Franklin did not want the eagle to be our national bird because of their "bad moral character" and he actually wanted to turkey to be our national bird. Their call is quite unimpressive - a small squeaky sound. The eagles "hold hands" when dating. Eventually they build two nests and alternate between each one. Their nests are quite large, up to 12 feet tall and can weigh over two tons. The eagle's eye has 5 times more cones than a human eye and have  monocular vision that can see between 10 and 2. Their eyes take up most of their brain. An eagle can spot a rabbit or fish over 1 mile away. The eagles shred the meat for the eaglets. Most eagles lay between 1 and 4 eggs.  If one eaglet is inferior to his/her siblings, it is not unusual for it to be eaten by its brothers/sisters. The juveniles practice flying for weeks. If the eaglet is not eager to leave home, mom and dad will stay away for a couple of days, drop food away from the nest, forcing the baby to fly away. Eagles mate for lift, but also live separate lives. Each eagle's foot has 16,000 pounds of gripping.

We learned how to distinguish a bald eagle from a golden eagle besides the very distinctive white on the bald eagle.  Bald eagles have no feathers on their feet like the golden eagle. Golden eagles have brown eyes while a bald eagle has yellow/silver eyes. Fortunately, the bald and golden eagles population is on the rebound.




There were two recuperating bald eagles in the center.



The Center will filled with eagle memorabillia.





Back at the ship, Rob took his afternoon nap and I went downtown to explore.  This charming little town was filled with beautiful flowers.  We were told that the college and high school students take turns watering all the plants.




Red Wing is known for its pottery and shoe factory.










It also has a beautifully restored hotel - the James Hotel, complete with Tiffany windows. I could definitely come back to visit Red Wing in the future.


August 17, 2024 - St Paul, Minnesota

Second day of morning drizzle as we lead off to visit the Minnesota Historical Center.





Cathedral of St. Paul


There were many great exhibits, but my favorite was "The Greatest Generation". We then took a bus tour of the city, driving down the longest collection of Victorian homes in the US. One of these homes is where F. Scott Fitzgerald did writing!

Then we toured the Summit Brewery and had an IPA testing.  Once again, here I am tasting beer in the morning!   Yikes!



Back on the ship, Rob had his shake and I enjoyed a hot dog before packing to fly home tomorrow.  Well drats, that time certainly flew by!

We took Lyft out to have dinner with Jim, Nancy, Rita, and Jane.  We had such an enjoyable time with our MN family.

Our luggage is in the hall, waiting to be taken away for tomorrow's early departure.  It has been such a relaxing, wonderful journey up the Mississippi River!



No comments:

Post a Comment