Monday, August 4, 2014

Mt. Rushmore and more......it's the first day of school and I'm on the road!

August 4, 2014
   Another sunny, glorious day, as we said farewell to Whittington Woods at Benton.  I quickly walked back to the entrance to take a picture of the gorgeous wood carving that one of the owners created:
Actually, he carved an additional matching eagle, and I'm sad that the intricate detail isn't obvious in my picture.  This is just one more example of the beautiful people living in the heartland of America!
   Last evening, while drifting off to sleep, I remembered that I had not included something in my blog that I even told Rob I would HAVE to include.  Yesterday, as we were traveling around the small town of Zeigler, IL, my Uncle Bill slowed down, and then stopped for a train crossing.  Now this may not seem so remarkable, but the train was REALLY long - over 100 cars!  Plus, there wasn't a crossing bar lowered like I've typically seen.  We waited, and waited, and waited.  I have never seen a train that long.  My uncle said that it is not on a fixed schedule, and it usually seems to cross when one is in a hurry!
   Today, we traveled to the southern part of Nashville, TN.  I don't know why, but it seems that the traffic in Nashville is always awful, probably because I-24 is constantly under construction.  As we arrived at our campground, the entrance was blocked by an ambulance and two police cars which didn't exactly give us a warm, fuzzy feeling.  Apparently, a little boy had a terrible sunburn, but his folks didn't seem too concerned, so the campground owners called the police.  Luckily, the issue was resolved quickly, and we settled into our campsite.
    It's the first day of school today, so I "almost" felt like I was playing hooky, until I read a sweet Facebook post from Teri, wishing me good luck on the new chapter of my life.  Immediately, I experienced the same "first day" thrill, only this time, it is the first day of retirement.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment